A Trailblazer you should know:
At a glance:
- High school PE teacher (25+ years) and assistant football coach at Stillwater Public Schools in Stillwater, MN.
- Butch Nash Outstanding Assistant Coach Award – 2019
- Awarded Minnesota State Physical Education Teacher of the Year 2018
- St. Croix Education Association Distinguished Teacher – 2017
- TIES Technology Exceptional Teacher – 2013
- Darrell likes to hike, bike, golf, play pickleball, go fishing, and attend a variety of sporting events and plays
- First teacher to implement the Heart Zones Move Solution application for schools.
What is the Heart Zones Move Solution?
A data-driven, easy-to-use, and affordable solution which uses technology including both wearable sensors as well as equipment-embedded sensors to track individual performance, effort and fitness with a user-friendly interface
- It quantifies and qualifies movement activities, engaging students where they are – to hook them on fitness now
- It measures and displays individual students MVPA (moderate-to-vigorous physical activity) on the Heart Zones™ Big Board©
- It brings PE to the 21st Century learner, transforming the PE program by using technology
- It is a way to market to your stakeholders (parents-guardians, administration, the student) that PE is the most important class in your school
- It is a smart way to fight the prevalence of childhood obesity.
A champion for the Heart Zones Solution:
Darrell started using the software and hardware over seven years ago as an initial beta tester. He has been a key source of input in development of the solution, always emphasizing “whatever you build, it has to be simple, and it can’t take any class time away from teachers….Heart Zones has had the biggest impact on my teaching in 25 years.”
As dedicated as Darrell is to Heart Zones Move, he truly appreciates the passion and knowledge of “Head Heart” Sal Edwards, Heart Zones founder and CEO. Darrell goes on to share the impact Sal has had saying:
“I had a focus on using Heart Rate Technology in Physical Education for my culminating project while earning my Master’s degree in Education in 2001. Now 20 years later, I am fully immersed in using Heart Zones Move in all of my Physical Education classes.
Sally Edwards, CEO and Heart Zones founder, has been my greatest influence. She has spent a lifetime promoting and educating fitness and health, while developing what I feel is the best heart rate technology and wearable devices. Her knowledge, passion, and willingness to share and educate really caught my attention and “sold me” on Heart Zones over other companies.”
Benefits to teachers:
- Science-based, data-driven approach results in better assessment
- Ease of use and time saving
- Continual updates to enhance technology
Benefits to students:
- Greater student engagement and success
- Students are excited to incorporate technology into PE
- Students have opportunities to be empowered learners through participation in interactive and engaging environments
- Enhances the PE experience by allowing students to use 21st century learning skills in a technology rich environment.
- Students are graded fairly and objectively using data
What Darrell wants you to know:
Darrell highly recommends use of the Heart Zones Move. In his words,
“The science is second to none. It is easy and effective for teachers to use in their classes. It is the perfect tool that enhances the PE experience for students by allowing them to use 21st century learning skills in a technology rich environment.”
Intrigued? Want to learn more? Heart Zones’ dynamic, easy to use, and affordable group fitness solution can only be understood once you’ve seen it in action. Schedule a FREE demo, so that you can witness the power of our Heart Zones School Solution!
Next steps include:
- Visit the Heart Zones Move website
- Click here to request a Heart Zones Move Solutions demo
- Contact Darrell Salmi directly at email@example.com for a chat or a visit to his school: 5701 Stillwater Blvd N, Stillwater, MN 55082
Sounds great but my school/school district doesn’t have funding…?
Do you know…
Funding is readily available for your school physical and health education program. It is easy to request. It is easy to get.
This is federal–not local–funding which has already been allocated to your school. Technology purchases are encouraged and warranted.